Saturday, September 7, 2013

The White Crayons



We spend our whole lives waiting to age, because society told us to... and now that we are slowly reaching the climax, of our ultimate goal, adulthood. We have finally come to our senses, and realized that being an adult is going to eat our brains and claim our youth, but its too late now, we've already come too far. We've already broken every crayon except the white ones, but no one really liked the white ones from the start. When you think about it the white crayon was neglect almost as much as the last few years we had to order from the kids menu at red robin. But maybe saving the white crayon is enough to save us! maybe just maybe we can use the black paper and white crayons. But do we have faith in our creativity anymore?

Years ago I used to draw suns with shades and a sleek smile, according to Mrs.Gaunt "That's not right, the sun in the sky dose not have glasses. so neither should yours." if I were older I probably would have said 'up yours' and moved on to the next task at hand, putting faces on my flowers on the page. But no. she convinced me that I couldn't have a sun with sunglasses, what a stupid thing to say to a seven year old in art.

To be old and wise, you first have to be young and stupid.
 --Anonymous

What if I don't want to be old and wise? I get older every second, and I know the small fire of youth is slowly fading as I come to be an adult, one that obsesses with numbers and things the shouldn't really matter. I want to be young, wild and free. I want to keep my white crayon alive, even if its never going to be like I was when I had the whole box. Wild and crazy, I'll be the old person that creates and uses my imagination until the day I die, that's all I could ever hope for. To keep the white crayon alive. but not just in me, in everyone.

Yours,

Peter Van Houten


1 comment:

  1. Great concept.

    Great picture.

    Great anecdote about Mrs. Gaunt.

    ReplyDelete